Where present meets past
The tracks of history in the region of Vourvourou go back into the depths of time. The oldest evidence of human presence are already traced back to the Paleolithic time and as more as we reach the contemporary era things become clearer.
In particular the ancient town of Siggos, from which the Siggitikos bay was named after, is correlated with the big natural harbor of Vourvourou. During the Roman era, there were luxurious mansions giving the impression of a small Venice, both in the overland Vourvourou as well as in all of its small islands. In the first years of Christianity, very important temples which constitute rare archaeological monuments such as those of Madonna, of Apostole Andreas and of Saint Isidoros were erected in the region. In the Byzantine era, Vourvourou became a glebe of Mount Athos and was utilized for lumber needs, olive oil production, wine making and fish breeding in Livari (derives from the Byzantine word “Vivari” which means vivarium). Later, Vourvourou gradually passed to the hands of Agios Nikolaos, which was the most robust region community.
Vourvourou had a determinant role to all the battles of the Greek nation, since the ships of the revolutionary Greece of 1821 arrived in it. Moreover, boats full of horrified women and children departed from Vourvourou in the violent times of the ottoman cruelty and Alliance soldiers secretly took refuge in it from its clandestine small harbors during the World Wars era.
Nowadays, Vourvourou constitutes a model tourist resort with high indigenous recognition and international reputation.